Friday, April 3, 2015

4/3/15 Good Friday by Christine Holmquist

I have had a lot of bitterness in my heart lately, so I found it interesting that Lee suggested John13: 34-38.  I really wasn’t sure what the Holy Spirit was going to lead me to or even if I would allow the Holly Spirit to work through me.  I hope some of you can relate to my honesty and appreciate that we all fall empty occasionally!  So after putting this off for 3 days and even considering canceling, I am so honored to share with you my reflections on John13: 34-38.   

John13: 34-38 abundantly defines our faith and is the most important part of our story as Christians…LOVE.   Not as Presbyterians that believe we should or shouldn’t allow gay marriage or who attends which service - but as Christians!  John 13: 34-38 reminds us that love is truly the message of Jesus.  When Jesus tells Peter that he will deny him 3 times, he isn’t cross with him, he isn’t trying to plead his side of the story, he isn’t giving him options or trying to change Peter’s mind.  He is simply sitting there with him and saying…listen this is going to happen but I love you anyway.

I often think of teenagers when I read this passage.  I think of all the times I was Peter growing up…the hurt I gave to my parents and how they loved me through it. That unconditional love that one has for their family - that love that doesn’t fail or leave us.
    

Today is Good Friday…the day our Lord was crucified.  A day that we should mediation on a love so immense that it permitted our God to allow his only son to die on that cross for us.  Hard for me to have any bitterness in my heart after faithfully reading those words!  Thank you Lee for leading me back into the word and not the politics of being a Christian!  May our church family be blessed with the ‘unconditional love’ of our Lord Jesus Christ through our love and compassion for one another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment