Tuesday, March 24, 2015

3/24/15 by Donna Herrin

John 9:18-41
How does one even begin to blog about this passage? I am NOT the person to help you comprehend these scripture verses. I could barely get through the first verses; not because the passage is long, (although that in itself was a bit intimidating) but because I struggle with the parents of the blind man, specifically in verse 22. The Jews still disbelieving the man, ask the parents 18 “Is this the one you say was born blind? How is it that now he can see?” 20 “We know he is our son,” the parents answered, “and we know he was born blind. 21 But how he can see now, or who opened his eyes, we don’t know. Ask him. He is of age; he will speak for himself.” 22 His parents said this because they were afraid of the Jewish leaders, who already had decided that anyone who acknowledged that Jesus was the Messiah would be put out of the synagogue. 23 That was why his parents said, “He is of age; ask him.” 

WHAT? They threw their blind son under the bus! 

What parent does this? I have been hung up on this passage for about a week. It’s crazy, but it has really bothered me. So much in fact that I had to put this passage away for a few days and try to forget about it. The parents were afraid. Parents aren’t supposed to be afraid, are they? More importantly, we’re not suppose to show fear. We’re suppose to be strong; Stand up and protect our children from oppression. It’s an unspoken law that is placed upon our heart the moment we meet our child for the first time. 

But as I dug deeper, I knew it wasn’t just the parents’ weakness that bothered me, it was my own weakness.

I put myself in the parents’ place and thought, “Have I have said or done the same thing because I was afraid that I would be put out of the ______________? (Fill in the blank with what matters most to you.) I remember as a child being told that someday I may have to defend my faith. That there may even come a time when I will have to declare my allegiance to Christ or die. I remember thinking, “Of course, I will never deny Christ. I will die before I deny Him.” Such easy words to say, but when faced with adversity have I been faithful? Have I remained silent, when I should have taken a stand? Have I turned my back on my Lord? I wish I could say that I am the model poster child for how a Christian should behave, but I am far from it. I have blown it, just like those parents. I have been afraid and have remained silent. I am Peter and I hear the rooster crow once again. 

And yet the time has come for many to be strong...

Lately, as I log on to the internet my eyes are drawn to the latest caption that more Christians have been beheaded or blown up. I find myself becoming physically ill at the thought of such hatred and violence. I can’t take it! Proverbs 3: 5-6 says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” That is what I must do. My heart aches for my fellow believers in Christ, for their families, and for their friends. I pray for their protection. I pray that God will give them the strength they need to not back down when they are told to deny Christ or die. I ask God to grant them peace in the midst of terror and sorrow. 

Lord, give me strength like theirs.

Lord, I am weak, like the blind man’s parents. I pray that you will give me the words to speak up for you and to tell others about you. That I will not remain silent when I have the chance to praise your name. To live boldly for you. To never walk away from a situation knowing that I had an opportunity to witness, but chose to remain silent. As your child, I thank you for loving me despite my flaws. As my Father, I love you for being the perfect example of what it takes to be a good parent, child, friend, and witness. I thank you for showing me the greatest love a parent could have when you sacrificed yourself to save us. Help me to be more like you. 
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment