Wednesday, March 4, 2015

3/4/15 by Pat Chambers

Scripture: Luke 18:15-17

15 Now they were bringing even infants to him that he might touch them; and when the disciples saw it, they rebuked them. 16 But Jesus called them to him, saying, "Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of God. 17 Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it."

I know what a shock…I picked a lesson that involves children.  More and more I hear Jesus words in my ear, “Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them: for to such belongs the kingdom of God.”  When I think about the children we serve at the Center for Children I think about the children that are typically developing, the child who is autistic, the child whose parents don’t work as a team any longer, the child who has medical needs, the compliant child, the disruptive child and all the children in-between.  How much different would my calling be if Jesus had said let the well behaved, typically developing, child of perfect parents  come to me, but he just said let the children come.  The parents who brought their children to Jesus wanted Jesus to lay his hands upon them.  They knew of the healing power, both physical and spiritual, which came from Jesus’ touch. If I am to be the hands and feet of Jesus then in my work and life, I must want the children to come to me, to CFC and to know Christ. I must invite all the children, not just the kids that are easy to be with and as we know the ones that are easy today might be the difficult ones tomorrow.    Jesus clearly shows us that no one is unimportant to God.    He comes to each person individually, no matter the age, that he might touch him or her with his healing love and power. 

So here is the challenge, do you /I show kindness to the youth we encounter in our neighborhood, home and church and do we pray for them that they may grow in the knowledge and wisdom of Jesus Christ? 


“Lord, may I become better at making sure our children and youth are given every opportunity to come to you and be given your blessing and healing power.  Make our children and youth grow strong in spirit and faith that they may follow you passionately. And as we grow with age, may we never lose that child-like simplicity and humility which draws us into your loving presence.  Amen”

No comments:

Post a Comment